Serviceberrys

Serviceberry is a native plant that produces small purple berries which are a slightly thick/seedy but otherwise delicious. They have a delicate, sweet flavor. I will be picking these and freezing them for pancakes in the winter. I once saw a full grown plant in someone's yard and was inspired to grow several myself. Although my plants are still small, they are filled with beautiful fruit this year.

My Mother has it on good authority (from my Grandfather who knew the gentleman) that the man for whom this plant was named pronounced his name "Sarviceberry" though it was always spelled Serviceberry. Most people have forgotten the gentleman's pronounciation. Today the plant is primarily known as "Serviceberry" or Saskatoon. A lovely name. And native peoples who knew this plant? I wonder what their name was...

No comments: